South By Southwest
It kicks off today in Austin. South By Southwest (SXSW), which a few years ago was all about music, but this festival has gained worldwide acclaim and it continues to outperform itself every single year. It’s about film. It’s about interacting. It’s a culture in itself. Oh yeah, and the music.
So what to do? You’re kidding, right? Springsteen will be there. Yep, The Boss is in Austin for SXSW. Jack White will host a showcase and Jay Z will rap for a credit card company. And that’s just what is scheduled. Music royalty from all over will be there and you will never know who you will bump into while in Austin. But the big question is who is the next big artist who will be showcasing their talents and will they be the next big act to take the world stage? That’s what makes SXSW appealing.
What else to do in Austin over the next week? Food! And lots to choose from. Here are a few of JACK’s choices for his SXSW week:
- The Hula Hut. It’s on the water. A mix of Tex-Mex Polynesian. 3825 Lake Austin Blvd
- Guero’ s Taco Bar. 1412 S. Congress
- Chipotle. 1603 S. Congress. (Hmm, burritos, tacos and burrito bowls)
- Max’s Wine Dive. 207 San Jacinto Blvd.
- Man Bites Dog. 5222 Burnett Road. (Great hot dogs)
- Chuy’s on South Lamar. 1728 Barton Springs Road. ( A must for any visit to Austin, get the Hatch Green Chile)
- Threadgill’s World Headquarters. 301 E. Riverside Drive. (World famous and another must)
- The Salt Lick Barbeque. 18001 FM 1806 in Driftwood. (Go there to get out of the hustle and bustle for a while)
Okay, we’ve whetted your appetite, we’re sure. Now it’s up to you. Be safe and have a great time at SXSW. And for more information, go to www.sxsw.com for a complete list and lineup of music, film, seminars and pure Austin fun.